Nicole Malliotakis is running for Congress
Written on Jan, 25 2019 13:20
By Carl Campanile nypost.com
Republican Assemblywoman Nicole Malliotakis, who mounted an unsuccessful bid against Mayor Bill de Blasio in 2017, announced Friday she’s running for Congress in 2020.
“I had a very encouraging conversation with President Trump and [House GOP} Leader [Kevin] McCarthy and today I filed my paperwork so I can begin raising funds. I will be making an announcement at the appropriate time,” Malliotakis said in a statement to The Post.
Malliotakis’ goal is to take on freshman Democratic Rep. Max Rose for the 11th District that covers Staten Island and parts of southern Brooklyn.
Malliotakis, who represents parts of Staten Island and Brooklyn in the Assembly, lost handily to de Blasio citywide but won Staten Island with 70 percent of the vote.
She initially backed Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) in the 2016 presidential election but switched to Donald Trump after he received the party’s nomination.
Rose upset GOP Rep. Dan Donovan last year.
But Malliotakis would likely face a GOP primary from former Staten Island Congressman Mike Grimm, who was forced out of office after being convicted of tax fraud.
Grimm attempted a comeback last year, but was crushed by Donovan in the primary.
Grimm on Thursday night issued a pre-emptive statement slamming Malliotakis.
“It is comical to expect Republican voters will want someone as unprincipled, unaccomplished, and underwhelming as Nicole to share the ballot with President Trump in 2020,” Grimm said.
“This is a joke and will be just another consultant-driven Ponzi scheme, just like her mayoral debacle was. Perhaps she’d better wait until 2024 when she can share a ticket with Marco Rubio.”
Malliotakis quickly received the backing of billionaire supermarket mogul John Catsimatidis.
“I will do everything possible to get her elected,” he said.
“I don’t care who’s running against me in two years. Right now I have Coast Guard members and FBI agents who don’t know when they’re going to get paid and they need our help. So that’s my priority. She obviously has a different idea of what’s important because she spent last week in DC building support for her 19th attempt for higher office. I wish her the best of luck,” Rose told The Post.
Nicole Malliotakis Assemblywoman
Nicole Malliotakis is an American politician. A Republican, she represents part of Bay Ridge, Brooklyn and East Shore, Staten Island in the New York State Assembly. Nicole Malliotakis is running for Congress 2020
More records from this name:
- Budget cuts could shutter veterans suicide prevention program, lawmakers say
- Happy Greek Independence Day!
- MALLIOTAKIS, ORTIZ, VETERANS SPEAK AGAINST PROPOSED CUTS TO VETERANS =VIDEO=
- Nicole Malliotakis Biography
- Driver's licenses to illegal immigrants
- Malliotakis Exposes Verrazzano Two-Way Toll Shell Game
- Malliotakis: Keep And Expand Gifted And Talented Programs
- Mayor de Blasio and Max Rose need to finally admit that sanctuary city policies have put innocent New Yorkers at risk.
- NY Congressman Max Rose voted to open the door to amnesty for more than 2.5 million illegal immigrants
- Malliotakis Statement on Rescinded NY License Plate Fee